Thursday, October 10, 2024

The Resurrection of Jesus and the Sign of Jonah

I recently finished Dr. Brant Pitre's outstanding book, The Case for Jesus. He does a superb job in defending the divinity of Christ, but he also had some excellent material on the historicity of the Gospels. There is much in the book that I could talk about, but I'd have to say that this part on the sign given by Christ of Jonah in the whale or fish (Matt 12:38-42) and His own death and resurrection was amazing. I confess to having had a similar view of Dr. Pitre at one time concerning the story of Jonah. It seemed more fairy tale or mythical to me rather than real. In his book though, and in the presentation he makes below, Dr. Pitre shows how the sign Jesus uses has more meaning than I or he knew: Jonah died in the whale/fish and was resurrected by God after 3 days. Likewise, Jesus died and was resurrected by God after 3 days. The story & sign I knew, this crucial detail I did not and it really blew my mind.



No comments:

Day 41: Origins and Ends

Among all the Scriptural texts about creation, the first three chapters of Genesis occupy a unique place. From a literary standpoint, these ...