Wednesday, July 22, 2026

Day 128: Mighty Men of Valor

 Today's readings: 2 Samuel 10, 1 Chronicles 13, and Psalm 31.


I. 2 Samuel 10 tells of David's war against the Ammonites and their Syrian allies after his diplomatic mission is insulted.

II. 1 Chronicles 13 recounts David's first attempt to bring the Ark of the Covenant to Jerusalem. Although his desire is good, the Ark is transported contrary to God's instructions, resulting in the death of Uzzah. I still question if there is more to this story.

III. Psalm 31 is, as the Ignatius Bible notes (verse numbers removed):
A thanksgiving psalm. The Psalmist cries out to God in distress, because not only is he scorned by enemies and slandered with lies, but conspirators are plotting against his life. The first part of the psalm highlights his confidence in the midst of adversity; the second offers words of grateful praise in anticipation of the Lord's help. (p. 855)

Psalm 31:5 should sound very familiar to Christians, for Jesus quotes this on the Cross in Luke 23:46: "Father, into thy hands I commit my spirit!"

That's it for today!

No comments:

Day 128: Mighty Men of Valor

  Today's readings: 2 Samuel 10, 1 Chronicles 13, and Psalm 31. I. 2 Samuel 10  tells of David's war against the Ammonites and thei...