Today's readings: 2 Samuel 13, 1 Chronicles 17, and Psalm 35.
I. 2 Samuel 13 recounts one of the darkest episodes in the history of David's family. Lust, abuse of power, revenge, and David's failure to administer justice are all in play in this. Amnon, David's heir apparent and the half-brother of Tamar, is consumed by lust for her. He schemes to rape her, which he successfully does. Afterward, an enraged Absalom, the full-brother of Tamar, assassinates Amnon two years after David failed to punish him for this outrage. I presume as a father he was torn over whether or not to enforce Mosaic Law on his errant son, but Tamar was his child too. He showed weakness as a king and a father. Thus, Absalom chose revenge and murdered his half-brother Amnon. He fled to Geshur after the killing (remember, he committed murder of his half-brother and the heir apparent). The chapter ends with David seeking to reconcile with Absalom. I must confess, if I were in a similar situation to Absalom, I would have been very tempted to do like him in this case.
The BIY Companion, Vol II, notes:
Ultimately, Absalom avenges his sister by killing his half-brother Amnon. This begins Absalom's rebellion against his father David. When David learns that Amnon raped Tamar, he is angry but does nothing. He does not defend his daughter or confront his son. He does not act like a father. This failure will mark David's life with his family. His actions do not live up to his high calling. (p 24)
II. 1 Chronicles 17 retells the story of God's covenant with David from 2 Samuel 7. The differences are only minor from what I see.
III. Psalm 35 is, as the Ignatius Bible notes (verse numbers removed):
A lament psalm. The speaker, a victim of false accusations, prays for God to expose the treachery of his enemies. His distress is acute, for he is not only attacked "without cause," but he is betrayed by old friends for whom he used to pray and fast. The psalm unfolds in three cycles of petitions and complaints that culminate in a vow of thanksgiving... (p 858)
That's all for today!

No comments:
Post a Comment